Friday, May 3, 2013

Prompt 14: Drowsy Chaperone

So, I'm not really sure how to answer this prompt since I don't really know anything about analyzing musicals, but I'll give it my best shot. 

I think that there is a definite choice about which songs are chosen for the show. If there wasn't a choice they could have random parts of the script be only song and text, but there's a reason that songs are chosen. For example, Janet Van De Graff claims that she's ready to move on from show life and settle down. However we see her sing 'Show Off' where she's clearly giving everyone a last show before tying the knot. Another example would be how Robert is ready to marry Janet but suddenly gets 'Cold Feets.' These songs I think are not only important choices but are also there for moments of tension and release. 'I Am Aldopho' is a great comedic song that distracts everyone for a moment about the tension that is happening for Mr. Felzdig along with Robert and his nervous jitters. None of the songs within the show are actually dark to cause tension. Most are upbeat and light to create enjoyment and release tension from any previous moments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment